Monday 15 October 2018

Feedback strategies

"The beliefs they carry about their own abilities.”

This was a quote that caught my attention in the first paragraph of Be a mirror. When students develop a growth mindset their work abilities, they believe that the hard work and struggle they are going through is an important part of the learning process. When students develop a fixed mindset about their ability, they begin to doubt themselves and don't want to improve. It is important to have a growth mindset in a college environment as you will face challenges and struggles but it is important to push through and enhance your knowledge and learning abilities rather than struggling and falling behind.

There are five qualities of feedback that foster a growth mindset:

Be specific. Listing the specific steps they need to take in order to progress.
A second quality is to focus on what the reader is doing and not on what they are not doing. A mirror cannot reflect back what is not there. 
A third quality is to focus on the process and the work the reader put in. When we focus on the process, we show students that their efforts are valued and important.
The fourth quality is to make sure it can transfer. Although I do want to be specific with my feedback, I also want to name what the reader is doing in a way that he or she can use it in a different book and context. 
The last is to take yourself out of the feedback.

I found all of these points beneficial for when I am giving and receiving feedback from my peers.

The second article I read was 5 Reasons to stop saying good job.
I found this article interesting as it states how using the term good job is over used and can have a negative impact on a child and encourage false praise.
I found that I could relate to some of the points made in this article as I've experienced times when good job was overused and caused me to loose motivation or interest.
I think it is important to only apply praise when it is earned and not just for false achievement.

Image result for feedback strategies

Image Link

No comments:

Post a Comment