Thursday 4 October 2018

Unity Tutorial 01





Image result for unity

Unity Tutorial One

Wellcome back to my blog! This week I was introduced to unity, something I had never heard of before. I found the Jimmy Vegas tutorials really straightforward and enjoyable.

First Youtube Tutorial:
In this tutorial I was shown how to download and setup the Unity software. I found the process straightforward and easy to do. He went through the basic instructions on Unity and how to set up a new project. I found the software easy to navigate and the controls were straight forward. In the first tutorial I was shown how to add basic 3D shapes like a cube a sphere to the game. I was shown how to alter and manipulate these objects. I was shown how to add a terrain to the game and how to change its shape and height. I found this tricky to do the first couple of times, but after playing around with the software I finally got the hang of it. I enjoyed the first tutorial and I now have some idea on how Unity works. I look forward to enhancing my knowledge and building my own game!

Second Youtube Tutorial:
In this tutorial we focus on textures in Unity. After downloading and installing the textures into Unity I could then apply them to the mountains I created in Unity. Using textures brings the project together and makes it look more appealing to the player. I found getting used to adding and applying textures slightly tricky but after some trial and error I got the hang of it. In the tutorial we are shown how to change textures to your liking. This could be from changing the colour to completely transforming a textures appearance. I enjoyed learning about all the possibilities in Unity when it comes to textures.

Third Youtube Tutorial:
In this tutorial we learnt how to add more detail to the terrain such as trees. We also added a character and a script. This made  the game really take some shape. I added a character folder that I added from the software. I got the hang of the player by walking around the land to get used to the controls. I downloaded grass and tree assets from Jimmy Vegas website and brought them into Unity. I liked adding the trees and grass as it made my terrain look like a real game and it was simple to do. I liked how you could change the wind speed and grass height to make the game look more realistic in player view. I added a gem to the game that I got from unity. I found it hard to alter the gem so I just left it how it was. I didn't really understand the coding and would like to get further information on this.  I thought it was interesting how it worked I just found it tricky and would like further help.




1 comment:

  1. Hey Becky,
    loved this blog post! really interesting I love how much detail you go into with explaining the tutorials excited to read your next blog! :)

    ReplyDelete